Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Hands Down, This is Best Day of the Year

Not to take anything away from Christmas, or New Year, or Thanksgiving or anything...but

TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

I've said it before, I'll say it again: I love my birthday. I love it more than a normal person should. Like the six year old I was twenty years ago, I get excited for this day weeks in advance. I announce it to everyone, I look forward to it with the giddy anticipation of a child. On my birthday, I'm all smiles and love and cheer. I don't know what it is, I just love my birthday.

Maybe it's because, growing up, my family made a huge deal out of everyone's birthday. My mom got excited for me before I knew enough to be excited. My parents always made me my favorite foods, gave me gifts and cards and made the whole day about me. They did it for my brother, and they do it for each other. Birthdays have always been an event with my family.

I'm getting older, sure. And I've heard people say things like "Every birthday after 21 sucked." I've heard people dreading any birthday that pushes them closer to thirty. But, here I am, now a 26 year old, only four years to go till thirty, and it just feels awesome. I hope that I never lose my love of my birthday, or get to a point where I don't want to celebrate it because it's "just another day." It's not. It's my BIRTHDAY. It's a reason to celebrate. And it's a reason to celebrate just being yourself. What's better than that?

In addition to the fact that it's my birthday, which makes this day awesome enough, Billy got me a laptop. And wireless capability. Which means I may now never leave my bedroom. It also means I can blog from home, I can upload my pictures more often, I can write. This may be the perfect gift.

Add that to the fact that my boss gave me vodka, and this may be the best day ever. And it's only 9:30 in the morning.

I'll write more later, about how happy Billy makes me, about how awesome my family and friends are, about my Birthday Eve celebration last night, and probably more. But right now, I'm just so happy, I can't bring myself to write anything besides this inane post about how it's my birthday, and I'm excited.

Happy Birthday to me!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!

My family still gets together on each of our birthdays for dinner. The birthday person gets to pick the meal, of course :)

Enjoy your day!

Mikaela

Anonymous said...

Happy B-Day L!! Enjoy your special day!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Bry said...

Happy Birthday Laurie!!!

steph said...

That is an awesome gift! Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I love you so very much! You are the best daughter ever!
DNR

Liz said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Sending you the best wishes for your birthday!

portuguesa nova said...

Feliz aniversario e parabems, mulher!!!!

anno said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you're having a fabulous day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Laurie! Enjoy the NEW LAPTOP!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Bite Me said...

Happy birthday, even if I'm a day late.

Laurie said...

Thank you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, happy belated birthday! Birthdays are soooo awesome. I just love 'em. People are so much nicer when they know it is your birthday. Wish we got treated like that every day. I've taken to let everyone I possibly can know when it is my birthday so they know when to turn on the sweetness. Here is a way you can do that, too: http://www.cafepress.com/unclefrog.69287792 It's a real easy way (even for shy people) to let everyone know that it is time to be nice. Many happy returns!