Monday, April 24, 2006

Countdown to Belize

Since the day Billy told me our flights were booked, I've been crossing the days off of my little office calendar. In fact, my favorite thing to do every morning is to take my hot pink Sharpie and X off the preceding day. It makes my proximity to vacation more tangible. I can see my progress.

Again, with my crappy cameraphone, I've captured my progress for you. Note the excitement with which I've indicated where I'll be on the 27th, lest I forget. The teal announcement of "BELIZE!!," replete with stars of varying and bright colors, continues through May 6, at which point all of the celebration via Sharpie comes to an abrupt halt. It is on that day where I will leave my boyfriend in Belize, travel through customs and whatnot on my own, and land in Newark to greet my waiting parents. During that long and lonely week, I will be busy packing up my home and preparing to really, actually move in with Billy. A week after I land, I will drive back to Newark and pick up my well-tanned and well-traveled boyfriend.

But that all seems so far away. All except for our departure, for which, according to my calendar, I only have to suffer through three more workdays. It's getting kind of hard for me to focus on anything but that. Three days 'til we leave. Three days 'til we leave. Three days 'til we leave.

Ladies and gentlemen, the countdown is on in earnest. I have to pack my backpack in two days.

5 comments:

Michele said...

I can't belive you leave for Belize in just a few short days! I am so jealous! Have a great time.

Anonymous said...

sis, i think that this is the first time that i'm extremely jelous of you. i mean, i've been jelous of your skills before, but i am really jelous, i wanna travel somewhere, and if i don't talk to you before you leave, have a great trip and make sure to bring back some sweet pics. i'll be home on the 11th or 12th. love ya sis,
scorpion

Tides In said...

Wow, Belize sounds amazing! I'm sure you'll have a great time!

And did anyone tell you how perfect the X's are on your calendar?

portuguesa nova said...

So freaking exciting!! I'm totally ready to be out of the US for a long, long time.

What I think you really need to be preparing yourself for is all of the "englightened" writing you'll be doing upon seeing the third world for the first time and/or spending some significant time outside the US.

Trust me. It'll seem very profound to you when you put pen to paper and then you will cringe like three years later. But it's all natural. I've discussed this with many a globetrotter and we're all guilty.

When I studied abroad in Spain during college I "discovered" Bob Dylan and all that he represents. Oh boy did I write some great stuff inspired by that.

When I lived in Japan I "discovered" Buddhism. I hope my journals are never reincarnated.

Of course, all of this was wisdom was tied in to me, love, death, poverty, politics, world peace...you name it.

Anonymous said...

Umm, how come I am always the family member to find out everything dead last? I didn't see any permission slips. Belize? That's awesome. On your way down there, stop and pick me up. I'll be ready. Anyways, hope you have a blast on your trip. Only a safe blast, though. Take care.

Watson