Saturday, July 22, 2006

I Love a Quickie

It's literally closin' time here at work, but I figured I'd write a quick post before I left this job (where I do nothing) to go home (where I also do nothing. And laundry.). Just a few random tidbits for the weekend....

Our computer at home has finally, officially, once again, crapped out. Which is a big surprise to someone whose boyfriend spent a couple hundred on getting it back up and running. AND who did without said computer for, oh, MONTHS while the "repairmen" in town "fixed" the "problem." I went to turn it on Thursday night, and - surprise! - it didn't. It just sat there, smugly crossing its little wire arms across its keyboard chest and refused to light up with activity. Everything was plugged in, everything was hooked up. I hit the button hard, soft, with my finger, with my toe, with my shoe, with a pen. Nothing. Up until Thursday, it had been on at least once a day. But Wednesday it saw no action. Much like a line from a movie (the title of which I can't remember, and I can't remember who said this, or what actor it was, or if it was male or female) that said sharks can't stop swimming for even a minute because they'll forget and drown and die, our computer probably needed to be fondled at least daily, to remember what it was like to turn on and, you know, work. And since we, the horrible owners that we are, neglected it, it drowned and died.

So, RIP computer. Even though you sucked for the last month anyway. It was (meager) fun while it lasted.

But this means no limewire downloads. No blogging from home. No ipod updates for poor Billy. Who has now lost his entire music collection for the SECOND time in less than a year. CPUs don't favor my boyfriend much.

Another, final, thing. I think I would be a much better communicator with my friends if everyone I knew just accepted the fact that I'm a much better text-messager than I am phone-talker. I could text until my fingers fall off. Talk on the phone? Not so much. I'll talk for, like, three minutes, and then this sense of boredom/panic washes over me that inspires me to think "I need to get off this phone now!" and "I have something else I could be doing!" simultaneously. Also, I rarely answer my phone in my car because, frankly, my car is the only place in my life that is truly mine, and I see phone calls during my drives to be an intrusion of my alone-time. So I let calls go to voicemail. Which I then hate to listen to. But I do. And then I forget to return phone calls (Adriana, I'm calling you back today), and then people think I don't want to talk to them. Which is SO not true. I just don't want to talk to them on the phone. I'd much rather talk to them in person. Because, basically, I see telephone conversations as meeting coordination ONLY. Nothing else. I rarely catch up with people over the phone, unless they live far away. But I really just don't enjoy it if I know I could just as easily drive and meet the caller somewhere. So, yeah, my point? Text messages are the way to go.

However, on a related note, is anyone else who texts a lot unable to get into the texting lingo? I seriously cannot send a text message in the faster, fancier abridged text that everyone I know is so fond of. I have no problem reading it, deciphering it, enjoying it...But I just can't write it out. For some reason, my brain is wired to ONLY write in full, proper words. I finally, after months, stopped capitalizing everything. And that still makes me a little queasy. Perhaps I have an obsession with grammar?

Okay, so that's it. It's 3:12, and I have to go home. There's...well, there's nothing waiting for me there, but it'll be better than being at work!

Have a good weekend!

5 comments:

God's gift to women (with really low standards) said...

Text messages are cool, but seem a little impersonal sometimes. Sometimes you can't get what you fully mean across in a text message which results in 2 more text messages to clear things up instead of a 3 second verbal correction. And sometimes text messages just suck. Just my two cents, but what do I know...

anno said...

Talking on the phone is just about my least favorite thing to do. I hate hearing it ring.

Good conversation NEEDS a cup of coffee, or (at least) a glass of wine. Otherwise, I'd rather write... and text messaging doesn't count.

theotherbear said...

I can't text in 'young people text language'. I just hate it. It annoys me. When one of my friends texts with a message like "Got yr msg, cya 2morrow" I cringe.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cheetarah1980 said...

I love text messages. That's why I got the Palm Treo. It makes texting even easier.

You're back at work so I'm assuming everything went well with the surgery. Glad to see you're doing well.