Friday, November 11, 2005

Quite a Conundrum

My boyfriend is having work problems...And, now, so am I.

It's Friday, November 11th: Veteran's Day. I thought I'd be using this paid holiday to get my hair cut and perhaps do some reading. But, instead, I went on a job interview.

A few weeks ago, a customer of mine called up looking to see if I knew anyone interested in working for him. He owns a successful business and is interested in finding the right person to become one of his three (very well paid) employees.

As it turns out, I am that person.

I interviewed today, and in all honesty, the job sounds perfect for me. I've known this buisnessman since I started at the bank four years ago. His company is successful and everything he does is top quality. He's nice and we've always gotten along well. The job offers good pay (it would take me at least three more years at the bank to make up what he's offering me to start), health benefits, a good working environment, the option of upward mobility, "the sky's the limit" as far as income goes. I wouldn't be locked into any sort of position, I'd get the whole week between Christmas and New Years off (PAID!). I'd have to work every other Saturday, but only from ten to three. The option is there for me to attend classes to learn more about the profession, therefore earning more money. The more the company makes, he said, the more I make. I'd be, technically, in sales, but my primary function would be point of contact between the customers and my employer. There would be bonuses, maybe some trade shows; I'd be involved in marketing and PR. It sounds perfect for me.

But I'm terrified.

I'm terrified that I'll hate it, that I won't be good at it, that I'll be making a mistake. I'm terrified to tell my boss that I'm leaving him after four years of faithful service. I'm terrified that I'll be in over my head, that I'll disappoint them. I'm terrified of change.

EVEN THOUGH I'm really not that happy with my current job. Yes, I love my boss, yes, I love my customers, and yes, I know what I'm doing...But as far as moving up, I'm stuck. And making money? I'm in the wrong business if I'm interested in getting not even rich, but comfortable.

I've stayed where I am for so long because it's safe. Because I didn't go to college, and my job didn't require a degree. It's close to home. I know what I can get away with. It's stable... There's security....

There's just no money.

I've been living paycheck to paycheck since I moved out of my parents' house. I can't do this forever. And staying at the bank will only offer me maybe a $0.50 raise a year, if I'm lucky. You may remember when I got my "raise" this year, I was far from happy with it. I wanted to leave then, but I lacked the motivation.

And now the opportunity has fallen into my lap.

But I just don't know. I'm full of fear...

And I told him I'd have an answer by Monday...

Help!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nah, you said it yourself: Your raise kinda stunk this year. Take the challegne. If it doesn't scare the hell out of you, it's not worthwhile.

Anonymous said...

do it sis, you deserve it.
Scorpion

Tiffany said...

Do it. You'll kick yourself if you don't at least TRY... And bank jobs are a dime a dozen (I know - I have one too). If it doesn't work out you can always use your experience to get another bank position.

Small companies are the best and a boss who appreciates your efforts AND is in a postion to show you his appreciation financially is a wonderful and rare thing.

You should go for it. A new wonderful man and a new wonderful job all in the same year? Lucky, lucky woman!

God's gift to women (with really low standards) said...

Did you forget that you are Laurie the Badass? It sounds to me like you did. You are going to be awesome at whatever you do. Don't be scared. Everything will work out in the end. This sounds like an awesome opportunity for you. You should jump on it.

Kristi said...

Go!!
take it!

it'll be a HUGE change, but do it.

You've got a strong partner that will be able to support you emotionally with the ups and downs you're sure to experience.
You'll be fine.
jsut remember to leae on good terms.
Just in case you might want to go back!

I send you a hug

Adri said...

if you fall there are plenty of people to catch you. don't be a weenie! now go kick ass ;) (I know you can).